An Amazing Gift

I have a very thoughtful daughter.  She always amazes me with her ability to think of others and empathize with them and to understand their feelings without having to be told to think about them.  She just does it naturally.

Today I took Riley and Julia to the mall.  We went to several stores.  Riley brought all of her allowance money - $11.  All but two dollars was made up of quarters, dimes and nickels.  She carried her purse with the cash/change in a baggie inside of it.  She was quite determined to find something she would love and that she could bring home.

So we went to Gap Kids as one of our first stops.  She's been looking at this puppy purse for a long, long time.  Has asked for it for over a month or two at least.  Well, it was finally on sale from $29 and was only $17.  There were only two blue ones left and she carried it while we looked around.  She really wanted it, but I told her that if she purchased it, it would be the only thing she could buy all day.  That she couldn't get anything else.  She thought about it and didn't want to put it on the shelf, but wasn't sure what to do.  So I asked a sales lady to hold it for us and told her we'd be back.  Riley told me as we left "Thank you for asking her to do that Mom."

Then we went to other stores.  One of our final stops is always Pottery Barn Kids.  The girls love to play in there.  Julia's favorite part is pushing dolls in the strollers and shopping carts and unbuckling/buckling them in and out of them.  She also loves to pretend to talk on the phone and to use the toaster/oven/sink in the back.  It's calm, quiet, clean and you don't have to worry about kids jumping on top of them like you do at the play area.  And the girls absolutely love it!

As we were leaving, Riley found a basket with stuffed animal dogs and cats in it.  She immediately picked up one dog and one cat.  She asked me how much they were and told me that she really wanted to get them.  I told her that she could afford them (I threw in a few dollars to help her get them) and she was very excited.  She told me how she was really, really excited that she could give Madi the cat and she could have the dog.  And that when Madison doesn't live with us anymore, that she will have the cat so she can always remember her and that she hopes she doesn't forget her.  I told her that Madi would still live with us for a while.  Riley responded with "I know, Mom.  I love her so much and I just want to buy it for her.  I think she'll love it."

Riley took her purse and the items to the counter.  She told the lady that she wanted to buy them and shared with her that she was getting them for her cousin Madi and one of them for her.  Riley then asked if she could have each of them in their own bags so she could open the door when she got home and call out "Madison!  I have something for you!" and surprise her with her own bag with a cat inside.

The lady at the counter thought she was just a doll!  So I helped count out the change and paid the lady.  All while Julia and Riley sat at a table and passed silverware and plates and talked together sweetly.  Jules then dumped all the silverware out and when I asked them to pick them up, they did and helped each other.  The lady at the counter was very impressed with their behavior and kept talking about how cute they were and how wonderful they were together.  Definitely a proud Mommy moment!  So proud that I thought about just buying her the dog purse to say "thank you for thinking of others," but decided against it because I didn't want her to think that when we give to others, that we get what we want to.  I wanted her to learn that giving to others is great enough by itself.  We did go back to GapKids and told them that we didn't want it.  Riley told her story to the lady and the lady was great about listening and smiling.  Was really sweet.

Riley said "thank you" several times as we left.  Julia pushed the stroller with her dolly until we got to the front where we found it.  Then she waved goodbye and said "Bye!" to the dolly and Riley reminded her that she'd get to see the dolly again when we returned to the mall the next time.

We then went to Gymboree to get some amazing deals on shirts for Julia - only $2 and $3!!!  Normally $24.95 and $21.95.  Got six shirts for $18 instead of spending almost $200.  Very pleased with that!  While paying for them, Riley cried because I wouldn't buy a $40 dress and Julia was screaming "out!  Out!"  because she didn't want to be in the stroller anymore.  I apologized to the lady at the counter who said "Must be nap or lunch time!"  I agreed and told her I was sorry for all the noise, but that we'd be out soon :)  And told her that I was embarrassed, but that thankfully it happened at the end of the shopping trip so I could still get the good deals.  She smiled and laughed and told me a story about her kids.  Made it an easier moment!

We left the store and girls played with this goo at a vendor in the middle of the mall.  They were laughing and jumping and having a blast.  I asked them to pass their "goos" to two girls who were coming to look at them.  Both of them handed it over without complaining and said "here you go!" and then started to walk on.  So proud of them for giving them to the new girls.  The mom was very thankful and amazed at their generosity.

We got home and sure enough, Riley entered the house with "Madison!  I have a surprise for you!"  She told Madi that she used her own allowance money to get the cat for her.  Madi wasn't sure what to think - she was so blown away by Riley's gift to her and the fact that she'd use her money for her.  Madi asked me "Did she really use her allowance money?"  And I told her that she had.  Madi was quite stunned.  Riley was so excited to give her a gift.  So thankful for Riley's big heart and thoughtfulness of others.

Comments

Popular Posts