Honest Words

Loving others.  Respecting others.  Speaking kind words.  We've tried to instill the right things for our kids to speak to others.  And now we've hit the honesty point where whatever a five year old thinks, a five year old speaks.

Riley shared with me some things that happened at school recently:

"Mom, I don't want to sit next to brown people.  They smell.  Even their moms and dads and grandpas and grandmas.  They smell."

So we talked about the Indian culture and their foods and the fact that people all smell different.


Another story to share:


R:  "Mom, I went over to Joshua and I saw his dad.  And I told him his dad was fat and had a fat belly."

Me:  What did Joshua say?

R:  He told me not to say that about his dad.  And I just said "Well, he is just plain old fat."

So we talked about being kind to others and what they look like.


Today's story:

R:  There are two girls in class who like to trick kids and then they don't play with them.  They were going to do this to Parker, but then I went and played with Parker.  I didn't play with them because they weren't being nice.  And they told another girl that she smelled bad.  I didn't tell her she smelled bad.  But she does smell bad.  They always tell her and she doesn't like it.  So I didn't tell her that.  But she does smell bad.  But I like her and so I played with her.  Today I was the line leader.

Me:  So how do you become the line leader?

R:  I was sitting quietly on the rug on the line and Ms. Sharon asked me to be the line leader.  And I was the only one who walked down the hall quietly.  No one else did.  And my teachers told the class that everyone was being bad and doing the wrong thing except for me.  They said I was the only one listening.

Me:  How did that make you feel?

R:  I felt good that I was doing the right thing.

Me:  As you should.  Keep it up girl!




Comments

Popular Posts