Consequences for Burping

Riley and I had a discussion about what she should be doing during science and how burping is not appropriate in the classroom.  I asked her what she thought I should do about it.  She shrugged her shoulders and wasn't sure.

So I paused and said "Let me think on it."  Then added "Do you know what your consequence would have been if you hadn't been honest and if I had found out from Ms. E about what had happened?"

Riley's eyes got really big and she shook her head and said "What?"

I told her "You would have lost your iPod."

Riley looked so very sad and started crying.

Then I told her "Riley, thank you for being honest and coming to me and telling me the choice that you made.  Because you were honest and came forth with the information, I think I know what will be the consequence.  You will need to write an apology letter to Ms. E for burping in science class."

Riley started to cry some more.  I got out the paper and pen.  I asked what she wanted to write.  Riley says "I thought you were going to write my letter for me?"  I shook my head and said "No.  I didn't make the choice to burp in class.  You did.  So you will need to be the one to write Ms. E the letter since you made the choice."

We talked about how you write letters, the proper way to address it to a person and how to sign off at the end.  I let Riley decided what she wanted to put in the letter and helped her get started by telling her that it would be appropriate to start with "I'm sorry for...."

So this is the letter Riley chose to write to Ms. E (and other than the first three words in the paragraph, the remainder of the words are hers):



Dear Ms. E,

I'm sorry for burping in class. But anyway I still love you. I promise I won't do it again.

Love, Riley



Then she addressed the envelope and we went on our way to doing something else.

Comments

Popular Posts