I did it!!

I've been wanting to run in a 5K the past few years.  Worked up to 2.5 miles between August and late last year, but then decided not to run in a race with a friend due to finances.  The weather has been getting warmer and it's always a great time of year to be outside so I decided to start running again.

The Colony High School is putting on their Cougar Prowl 5K next month.  It's close, it's cheap and convenient so I signed up for it yesterday!!  So excited!!!  April 20 - can't wait!!

I ran three days ago and did 1.3 miles which I was totally happy about.  Ran a full mile straight and had warm-up/cool down.  Today the weather was gorgeous this morning!!  So I tracked a longer run just to see if I could do it and I wanted to be outside in the great weather so it was a good day to test it out.  I used USA track and field map it to plot my course before heading out.

I ran 2.25 miles today and walked .25 miles for a total of 2.5 miles.  Felt so great!!!  Sore, but not overly sore.  Feel a total burst in my energy level just after running two days this week.  And I'm sleeping more soundly than before too and I was already sleeping well so that just adds a bonus.

My favorite part about running is that it makes me more positive.  You have to be positive to run and to keep going.  I tend to even speak out loud to myself and say "you can do it!" when I hit a point where I'm tired.  Today I said it twice right around the 2 mile mark.  I only had to finish the end of the street to accomplish my goal and I'd already gone so far.  And made it to my goal.  I love that you can't be negative and you can't think "I can't do this" because then, of course, you can't.  You have to think positively.

And then it carries into everyday life and not just the run.  Like "You can do this" when dealing with a screaming, whiny three year old who is mad that she can't eat chocolate cake for breakfast.  Or "you can do this" when your preschooler pees her pants while standing in front of the toilet and it means having to give her one more shower so she doesn't sleep with pee on herself.  And of course "you can do this" when you choose to relax rather than clean something because it can be cleaned tomorrow and enough was already accomplished for the day.

Comments

Popular Posts