5K Cougar Prowl

Last Saturday I completed one of my goals for 2013.  I signed up for a local 5K race through our high school that helped benefit our football team.  Was great to see all these kids that I had taught in 3-5 grade and were now in high school.  Several of my current students also ran in the race.

I hadn't run the last two weeks due to rain and cold weather.  And I really had in mind that I wanted to complete the run without ever stopping to walk.  Running it in under 30 minutes has always been a goal of mine as well.

It was the most perfect weather!  I felt great the whole race and really enjoyed the experience.  The first mile was incredibly easy and I couldn't believe how fast it went.  The second mile felt great as well and then I hit a wall around 2 and a half miles in.  And I chose to take a short walking break.  Ended up walking three short walking breaks and ran the last 1/4 of a mile or so.  Finished right at 36 minutes for 3.1 miles.

I was so excited to have completed a 5K as it has been my goal the last three years and I haven't been able to see it to completion.  Felt really great to know that I did it.  I was bummed to have run it slower than I had hoped.  And I was bummed that I ended up walking even with as short as I did.  But in the end, I am very happy to have done the best I could and to have been able to do as much as I did.

Tonight I went out to run and ran 2.2 miles without stopping.  Thinking that I need to break the wall that I hit at the 2.5 mile point.  And that just comes through training.  Such a great feeling to being running again!

Comments

Popular Posts