Former Students

I have often doubted my ability as a teacher.  In fact, I often get discouraged and think of all the things I wish I had more time to teach or wish I were better at teaching.  Then wonder if I am doing my students the good that I hope for them and wish I were better than I am.  Jeremy is always quick to tell me that I am a terrific and wonderful teacher.  In the day to day routine, it can be hard to believe.  And not because I don't work hard or don't care or don't try to be the best I can.  I do all of those things, but sometimes feel as though I'm just not reaching the bar that I've hoped to reach.  Call it unrelenting standards... at least, that's what I was 'diagnosed' with during a book study years ago.  And I know the shoe still fits.  Working on that.

Tonight was one of the best nights ever in regards to how I feel about myself as a teacher.  And I didn't even teach!

A former students of mine that I taught from 1st - 4th grade was in town from Colorado visiting her friend Emily (whom I had from 1st-5th grades).  She and I keep in touch on Facebook.  She has missed Texas and finally got the chance to come visit Emily for a few days so she messaged me earlier today.

Come to find out that she wanted to see me and went to our old street to find me.  The girls knocked on a few doors to figure out which house was ours.  Then got to one house where the owners told them that we had moved a few years ago.  She was bummed to not be able to see me. (very sweet of her!)

I messaged her and told her that we were home all day and she was more than welcome to stop by to say hi.  The girls were all off to the mall and said they might stop by later.  I gave  her my address in case they had time as it would be fun to visit with them and hear how high school is going.

A message came to my phone around 7pm saying "We're on our way!"  I was so excited to see both of them.  They were always great students and while I'd seen Emily now and again, I hadn't seen Evie except in pictures for six years.

The girls stopped by the house and stayed for about an hour.  We just talked, took a picture of the three of us and spent time finding out about their lives and what they do in Colorado and just life.  The girls were sweet and funny.

After we gave hugs goodbye and they left, I thought harder about how special it was that they would take time out of their schedules to come spend time with me.  They are sophomores in high school and have busy schedules.  Evie was only in town for four days and there are plenty of other things they could choose to do.  And they chose to take an hour out of their day to spend time with me.

Evie talked about how music was her favorite class and how much she missed me.  I'm so thankful to know that I had a positive impact on her.  She is now involved in choir, singing, and musicals.

It was a proud teacher moment being able to see students that I poured into in elementary school now being involved in music in high school and still remembering me as a favorite teacher.  What a rewarding and special night tonight was!  So thankful for the encouragement and feeling as though I am a better teacher than I give myself credit for...

Comments

Popular Posts