Goals for 2016

This last year threw me for a loop as far as goal setting goes.  While I'm thrilled that life was more wonderful than it would have been if plans had gone my way, I haven't been able to really figure out what to work towards.  For January, I'm going to work on these goals and assess where we're at after the first month to see what is working, what needs tweaking and what other goals may come up.

Goals for 2016:

1) Read 16 books in 2016
  a.  10% Happier
       A fellow blogger said this book was life changing.  I know nothing about it, but the thought of being 10% happier sounds awesome.
  b.  The Bible
       Actually got out a practically new pink bible that I got a while back.  Planning to read it and take notes in it.  Love online devotions and devotional books, but want to get back to the most important source.
  c.  Other books soon to come

2) Financial Check Ups
     Jeremy and I have been debt free for almost six months now and loving it.  The plan is to now work more on savings.  Every Saturday morning we'll do a check-up using our accounts and assess how we're doing.  Started that today.

3)  Disconnect so I can Reconnect
     Often Facebook sucks my time and energy away from the people who are closest and most important in my life.  Riley recently said something about how I always have my phone in my hand and I'm always on Facebook.  She's also referenced herself after doing something and said "You should put that in Facebook."  It's obvious that it's taking away.  I'm not refreshed after being on it, I search without purpose and while I love to see what others are doing, it causes me to not be doing anything with those around me where I am.
     To disconnect, I'm planning to set aside time one day a week for one hour or less to look at it.  I will respond to private messages if any are sent, but I've moved the icon on my phone to the last page and just working at being more present.

4) Write 4 original pieces for middle school curriculum as well as examine, restructure and design pieces around Music For Children Volumes. One piece per grade level!
     I want to compose pieces that will allow my students to be further challenged.  I plan to use pieces from the volumes and pull out what I can get from the pieces as well as see what various ways the pieces could be taught/re-composed/dissected.

5) Teach a music education seminar/workshop.
     I want to use what I've learned in the classroom to teach other music educators.

6) Take a self defense class.
    Living in the area we do, I want to have more knowledge about how to protect myself and our girls in particular too.

7) Learn more Spanish with Duolingo and find ways to interact with others who speak Spanish.  Get a Spanish workbook to learn more.
     This past year I spent at least half of the year practicing Spanish with the app Duolingo.  I have improved a lot, but have so far to go.  I want to find a way to get more learning about Spanish.

8) Travel as a family
Using airbnb.com or Southwest Airlines or going by car to visit family, I truly want to have at least a week away with the four of us together.

9) Engage in meaningful and purposeful relationships
     Invite friends, neighbors and coworkers to our home for dinner.  Plan to do this at least six times this year.

10) Continue my education at SMU towards my Master's Degree with excellence.
     While I'd love to continue to work towards keeping my 4.0 GPA, what I'd really love to do is continue to immerse myself in my studies so that I can learn as much as I can about music, education and how to be a better teacher.  I'd like to take either the Orff Master Class and/or Kodaly Level II.

11) Find ways and time to work out.
   Walk the dog, go to classes at our neighborhood clubhouse, workout at work after school or at home.  Always feels so much better when I've done something instead of sitting around.

12)  Use our Crockpot to plan means ahead of time.
     Cook 10 crockpot meals this year.

Comments

Popular Posts