2018 Goals

2018 Goals


This year looks very different than the past few years.  Less about achieving large goals, pushing for final products, and working harder/smarter/better.  More about family, refining day to day use of time at work, and making personal connections a priority. The most challenging goal will be #9 and it may not be the year for it, but it's one that I'd like to pursue and see what comes of it.  Looking forward to a great new year of family, friends, and relationships.  Happy New Year!

Goal One: Become involved at our church
We've been attending Watermark a little over a year, but have yet to truly jump in.  This could look like several things.  Beginning a small group, joining a small group, volunteering in a specific ministry, attending Wednesday night services, joining a bible study.

Goal Two: Spend more time with Jeremy, Riley, and Julia (and Val too)
After just over 3 1/2 years of grad school, priorities had shifted with family near the middle to bottom of the list.  Especially this past year with final projects and intense commitments.  This may be hard to measure and I'll have to think about how this can be fully realized so that it's not so general.  Obvious ideas include date nights, one-on-one time with each girl, family trips, games at home, and snuggling up to watch movies on the couch.

Goal Three: Continue to use budgeting software and talk about it weekly with Jeremy.
Because who doesn't just love talking budgeting?!  It has really helped us with our budget and monitoring where our money is going.  Plus the graphs, pie charts, and color coded sections are amazing!  I geek out over the color graphics.  Our marriage is all the better for it and so is our checking account. 

Goal Four: Practice.  Practice.  Practice.
Identify a specific 15-20 minute time during each school day to practice recorder/bars/drum techniques in preparation for lessons.  This is much needed in my job as the pieces are incredibly challenging - not just to play, but in how to teach.  I find that the more I practice, the better I teach and the better my students learn.

Goal Five:  Incorporate videos, planning structures, and new activities into piano lesson practice times for my piano students.
I've been reading about ideas for piano students in their practice time at home.  I'd like to provide my students with tangible ways to practice as well as information for parents about working together to keep them accountable while making it less tedious and more challenging.  Looking into ways that students can videotape themselves and send or upload videos onto google classroom or another location for me to watch and give feedback.  

Goal Six: Leave work before 4:30pm two days a week... or at least one day.
This will support goal #2.  It is rare that I get home before 5:30-6:00pm each night all week long.  I get to work in the dark around 6:35-6:40am and it makes for a long day when we arrive home in the dark.  Balance is needed.  Going to aim for two days a week while realizing that this is something that will be very, very hard.  May realize that just leaving one day a week before 4:30pm is the place to start.

Goal Seven: Read.
Other than books and articles for grad school and summer reading materials for GSES, I haven't read for personal enjoyment as much as I would like.  Starting a list of books that I'd like to read:
  1. Bible  (can't ever read this one enough)
  2. Tell me what you've read that you recommend!
Goal Eight: Have friends or family over once a month for a meal and games or an activity.
Similar to goal #2 as we are surrounded by such wonderful friends and family; yet we haven't invested as much time into our relationships as we should.  My reasons for not inviting others over often come down to my thinking about our busted hardwood floors in the front dining room and coordinating a time that would work for everyone seems stressful.  These are not reasons to postpone eating with friends and family.  So I'm working on getting over it by getting over it.

Goal Nine: Plan and implement a podcast
I really enjoy listening to podcasts and think there's a need out there for a teacher podcast about music education.  It would be fun to include some music teach interviews, inspiring stories about how people came into teaching, information musical approaches, humorous student stories, Curious to see what could be possible and if it could be helpful as well as inspiring and fun.  Who knows?!

Goal Ten:  Attend musical and cultural events throughout the year including:
  • musical at the Winspear (or other)
  • DSO Concert
  • play
  • museum
  • local artist performance 
  • ballet
Goal Eleven:  Continue to work towards finding my brother Jim
Self-explanatory, but challenging given the circumstances.  

Goal Twelve:  Watch my posture
Fake it till you make it?!  In the same way that wearing certain outfits can bring a confidence boost, I want to be more aware of my posture and how I present myself as I feel that slouching my shoulders forward makes me appear insecure and less than confident.


If you're looking for inspiration and ideas for goals for the new year, here are a few articles that I enjoyed reading:










Comments

Popular Posts